Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Kinda Gross but Cool

I was inspired after we talked about blood hemorrhaging in eyes today, so I found the picture of my mom's eye and did some research. Sadly, I could not figure load the picture despite my best attempts to do so, but I'll show it to you in class.

I hope eMedicineHealth.com is right because they have quite a bit of information about “Subconjuctival Hemorrhaging” – that’s what this really is. The conjunctiva is a delicate membrane that covers the sclera, the white part of the eye. In the picture you're going to see, the walls of the blood vessels underneath the conjunctiva have broken so the whites of the eye look like they're covered in blood. Sneezing, coughing, and high blood pressure, among other things, cause Subconjunctival hemorrhaging.

Usually there is no need to be freaked out by this. The only reasons to start worrying are if the redness does not go away after two weeks, or if it happens often.

I know this doesn’t have to do with smallpox, but we talked about it earlier today and I got excited about the picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment