Monday, September 21, 2009

Book Review : Biohazard

Biohazard Ken Alibek
I LOVED THIS BOOK! I never knew so much was going on in the world until I started reading this book. Before reading Ken Alibek’s take on biological weapons, I would never have guessed that people would actually stoop so low as to create weapons out of very devastating diseases. This book was semi-frightening to me because I have personally suffered from a disease that once caused epidemics, so it took me a while to grasp the idea that people would purposefully cause others to become ill. The fact that the Soviet Union’s biological weapons program was so intensive and detailed was also a bit frightening to me.
Ken Alibek put so much detail into his writing, that I nearly forgot I was reading a book at times. I found it interesting that Alibek also put so much detail about society in the Soviet Union into his book, including family structure, social structure, and a lot of politics. I like how he not only talked about the intensive weapons program but also what was going on in the world at the time. Now, looking back at the book after having experienced our amazing soco class, I found it extremely interesting that Steve Block does not trust Alibek. While he had some convincing points, about Alibek using his experiences to make a living and feeding people stories, it makes me question the authenticity of Biohazard, and just anything that Alibek may have told the US Government at all. However, overall I really enjoyed the book and thought it created a very good introduction to biological weapons and the great variety of ways that science can be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment